MSB 735 Labor Management Relations Posted 3-17-2021 Due 3-24-2021
Assignment #5 – Based on Topic 5 Labor Management Strategies, Structures and Constraints
Utilizing the textbook, presentations, and research answer ALL of the following questions directly on this form. Use substantive & cogent responses (complete sentences in paragraph format). Save the Form as a Word doc or PDF and attach it in the “Assignments Due Here” Forum on Blackboard by 11:59 PM on Wednesday 3-24-2021. For consideration, you must answer all of the questions including subsets of each question. Failure to answer any of the questions or subset of a question may result in rejection of the entire assignment. You must also clearly identify what you are answering. Cite your sources (textbook, PPT, research). Unless otherwise approved, unauthorized late submissions and e-mailed versions will not be accepted.
1. Based on your textbook and the presentation, compare the traditional U.S. union strategies (especially business unionism, job control unionism, and the servicing model) and their alternatives (especially social unionism, employee empowerment unionism, and the organizing model).
2. Discuss the pros and cons of union mergers for: (a) two unions that represent workers in the same industry, and (b) two unions that represent workers in different industries. c) Should U.S. law encourage, discourage, or remain neutral on union mergers?
3. Describe the range of possible management strategies toward labor unions and how they relate to human resource strategies and business strategies.
4. a) List and briefly describe the six key ethical theories mentioned in the Chapter. b) Explain how the Labor Relations environment, including ethics, influences and constrains labor relations outcomes.
5. Find and explore the websites for the AFL–CIO and Change to Win. a) In what ways are the messages and strategies of the two federations similar? b) In what ways are they different? c) Are workers better off when the labor movement has a single, unified federation or multiple, competing national federations? Explain